We do our part:
We at Independent Can diligently commit to a clean, environmentally conscious operation. We measure and document our efforts. The company’s “Green Committee” was established in March of 2008 with the mission of defining and implementing best practices company-wide. The team put in place a measurable agenda and educated our workforce. We consistently note improvement from year to year in our recycling totals for steel, plastic, aluminum, corrugated, mixed paper and energy efficiency.
We have installed the most energy saving coater ovens in the world. We have also overhauled an existing coater oven allowing for a 20+% increase in through-put and a 30% reduction of energy required utilizing the latest technology and environmental systems. Our printing lines achieve the same vibrant images using less ink. Even more energy is saved with ultraviolet curing.
Our facilities are equipped with energy-efficient heating, cooling and motion-activated lighting. Our facility in Ft. Madison, IA uses geothermal heating.
• Recycling steel uses 74% less energy than making new
• Every can that you buy is at least 25% recycled steel and up to 60%
• Steel can be easily separated from other waste with a magnet
• There are more than 2000 scrap steel processors in the US
• Every 2,000 lbs. of recycled steel saves 2,500 lbs. of iron ore, 1400 lbs. of coal
and 120 lbs. of limestone
• Each year, more steel is recycled than glass, paper, aluminum and plastic combined
Steel Life cycle
• Scrap steel is bundled and taken to a recycling center.
• It is melted down and the impurities are burned off.
• If the steel is destined to become a can again instead of one of the many other uses for steel, molten steel is poured and rolled into a thing sheet.
• It is coated with tin to retard rust and rolled into a coil.
• The coil is cut into sheets of steel and the process of can making begins again.
Custom tin containers for coffee, tea and other consumables extend shelf life and eliminate the need for plastic valves and liners which are less recyclable.
Independent Can was one of the first companies to be a part of Maryland’s registry of green companies.
For more information on steel recycling visit:
For more detail on the environmental initiatives at Independent Can, contact us.